Last month I invested in me. I invested in my business. I surrounded myself with hundreds of incredibly talented photographers from all over the world. I met with owners of film labs to learn more about their processes and how I can deliver the best images to my clients. I met with print labs to discuss new partnerships for the fine art prints I have always offered my clients, since the beginning of my business over 16 years ago.
It’s always important to me to attend at least one industry conference each year. Continuing education is invaluable. I never want to feel like I’ve learned everything there is to know. I want to always be a student, honing my skills. Conferences are always a shot in the arm of inspiration, but sometimes they can also make you feel “less than” or overwhelmed with information and how to apply it to your business right away. As soon as those feelings creep in I try to realign them with the truth that I am enough. My worth is in Christ and I am created to be me, not anyone else. I do me. I stay true to my style, my goals and my desire to keep learning and pursuing the best ways to serve my amazing clients. Then I stop for a minute, take a deep breath and realize how deeply grateful I am that THIS is what I get to do every single day. It brings me so much joy.
I already shared the shoot hosted by the talented Eric Kelley and you can see that post here. Now, I want to share some of the film images from an inspiration shoot and workshop hosted by another leader in the wedding photography industry, Lauren Fair, who has been named Top Wedding Photographer in the world by BRIDES and The Knot. I enjoyed meeting her after following her work for a while now. She and her husband Tim are kind people and wonderfully humble educators. I love how this shoot turned out because of the efforts of an incredibly talented vendor team. My business started with film exclusively over 16 years ago. After a long sabbatical, it feels good to slowly weave film back into my workflow as a hybrid shooter, which just means that I’m an artist who chooses the medium (film or digital) that best suits the client, the situation and the light. I hope you enjoy this lovely wedding inspiration shot on film…
Credits/Vendor Team + Instagram Accounts:
Host Photographer: @erickelley
Producer and Set Designer: @type_a_society
Floral Designer: @melissabroadwell
Wardrobe Styling: @lexfordays
Jewelry: @sarahojewelry + @trumpetandhorn
Couture Bags and Jewelry: @mindylamjewelry
Earrings: @jenniferbehr + @lili_claspe
Backdrops: @telicialee styling mats @jrd_artshop
Plates, Silverware and Glasses: @greystonetable
Stationary: @yonderdesign + @aerialistpress
Ring boxes: @voeu_du_coeur
Floral Pedestal Columns: @lavendersflowers
My first wedding of 2019 was Virginia and Matthew’s beautiful Birmingham, AL wedding planned by M. Elizabeth Events in shades of smoky blue, white and greenery.
Photographer: Heather Durham | Assistant Photographers: Emily Kicklighter & Bethany Rogers | Planner: M. Elizabeth Events| Floral Design: Sarah Peinhardt | Wedding Gown: Allison Webb from White Dresses Nashville | Tuxes: Mr. Burch | Bridesmaids Dresses: Dessy from Bella Bridesmaids| |Custom Wedding Invitations & Lettering: Jan Pruitt | Beauty: Abby Moorer | Ceremony: Cathedral Church of the Advent | Reception Venue: Birmingham Museum of Art | Caterer: A Social Affair | Cake Artist: Alethea Cowie | Entertainment: The Fountain City Players
You know that feeling when you immediately like a people the minute you meet them? They make you feel so comfortable and as if you’ve been friends all along? That was exactly my experience with the aesthetician team at Nashville Cosmetic Surgery and Dr. Don Griffin’s office. A mutual friend connected us when I expressed to her that I needed an aesthetician. She could not say enough good things about NCS, and after meeting them I now know why. They are truly the sweetest people and so knowledgeable about skincare. I’ve been using them since my move from Birmingham to Nashville and I trust them completely. They are also clients and I’ve enjoyed having their beautiful faces in front of my camera!
One of my very favorite products they introduced me to is Revision Intellishade Tinted Moisturizer with Broad Spectrum 45 SPF. It’s a light coverage with great protection, which is perfect for me since I spend a great deal of my time outdoors working and running with my chocolate lab. And, it blends with whatever skin tone you have. Brilliant! No wasting a tube going from summer to winter skin tones! In addition, I love NCS’s own line of Koji Pads for high potency skin brightening. They’ve also recommended BBL laser treatment to help reverse the signs of sun damage from all the hours in my youth I spent in the sun (regrettably). Can’t wait to try it.
Here is the advice Dr. Griffin’s team shared with me…everything from non-surgical facials, peels, lasers and injectibles to surgical enhancements, if that’s what you desire. Plus, NCS is including some amazing discounts just for mentioning Heather Durham Photography, PLUS an Instagram GIVEAWAY! How’s that for some holiday cheer!
SPECIAL PROMOTIONAL DISCOUNT!
NEW NCS CLIENTS MENTION HEATHER DURHAM PHOTOGRAPHY TO RECEIVE 20% OFF
ANY LASER, FACIAL OR PEEL PACKAGES, PLUS… $65 OFF FIRST BOTOX OR FILLER,
PERFECT FOR MOTHER OF THE BRIDE! PLUS…
ENTER INSTAGRAM AND FACEBOOK CONTEST AND FOLLOW RULES FOR A CHANCE TO WIN GIVEAWAY WHICH INCLUDES A FREE GLOSS PEEL AND NCS SKINCARE FOUNDATIONS PACKAGE, WHICH INCLUDES A FACE WASH, RETINOL, CE FERULIC, MOISTURIZER AND SUNSCREEN.
A $550 VALUE!
FOLLOW OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES IN POSTS ON INSTAGRAM AND FACEBOOK AND ENTER BY DECEMBER 20TH AT 11:59 PM. WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED DECEMBER 21ST.
For Brides and Mother of the Brides, we understand that your wedding day is a day you will remember for the rest of your life. It is important to look and feel your best so that you can cherish the wedding photos for generations to come.
9 – 12 MONTHS OUT
It’s important to identify any issues that you want to address to have you feeling and looking your best. Whether your issues need to be addressed surgically or with non-surgical treatments, giving yourself plenty of time to plan for and recover is most important. Our team at NCS is here to help you explore your options.
Start with scheduling a consultation.
- We recommend a complimentary consultation for both the bride and the mother of the bride so that we can identify your goals and come up with a game-plan that has you looking your best for all of the events leading up to the big day. Many of the brides that we see are interested in filling out their wedding dress confidently with a breast augmentation. This procedure has a fairly quick and easy recovery, but you want to make sure that you have this completed before your final dress fitting. So allowing plenty of time to plan and recover is paramount. The same holds true for mothers, we typically tell our (mother-of -the-bride) patients who want to be completely recovered from a facelift or eye lift, they are going to need at least 3 months to look their best. Many brides and mothers of the bride will start with a surgical option and follow-up with treatments like lip fillers, Botox, lasers and facials to complete their plan for a confident and glowing appearance.
- And even if your goals are just for a luminous skin, remember flawless, glowing skin doesn’t happen overnight. The 12 month mark is still the best time to begin.
- If you need to address pigment a photo facial (BBL) 3 treatment series spaced several weeks apart or Melanage Peel will reverse the sun damage and help even out skin tone. If you have never tried Botox or filler before, now is the time to discuss your plan for that. One of our providers will also assess your skin and recommend any products that will help you protect and maintain your results after treatment.
6 MONTHS OUT
- If you haven’t already started a series of BBL photofacials, now is the time to get that correction going for glowing skin. Laser services are a great option for any bride. Broadband light treatment (BBL), also known as a photofacial, is going to be your greatest ally to help even out your complexion, getting rid of brown or red spots, and stimulating collagen production to give a flawless, airbrushed look!
- Start Laser Hair Removal. Many brides are starting to think of how they want to look on their honeymoon and oftentimes that answer is laser hair removal. 6 treatments of laser hair removal will get rid of any unwanted hair without the painful, unsightly bumps from shaving or waxing.
- Start Injectables. Botox and filler treatments will smooth wrinkles help to address any volume loss and bring a youthful radiance to your look. By starting these treatments at 6 months, you can give yourself time to adjust to the treatments and tweak as needed.
- Start Latisse. This is also the perfect time to start your Latisse treatment to bring out those long, beautiful lashes! And the month before your wedding, be sure to come in to tint your lashes to finish out the look!
3 MONTHS OUT
- You are almost there and it’s crunch time. This is the time to finish up your series of laser treatments or peels. If you’ve not already done so, address any filler needs such as lips or if you have never tried Botox before now would be the time.
1 MONTH PRIOR
Schedule that last facial or a mild peel to put the finishing touch on your glowing skin. We have many brides that want an additional BBL or peel for their chest and back to ensure glowing skin all over.
- Dermaplane or Microdermabrasion 2 weeks prior.
- Last Laser Hair Removal: Finalize your laser hair removal treatment to smooth every area.
- Injectable Tweaks: Schedule a final look over to tweak any botox or filler to give the exact look for your most confident self.
YOUR WEDDING DAY!
Look in the mirror, appreciate your natural radiance, confidently walk down the aisle in a dress perfectly tailored to your most confident form, and say “I Do” to your most beautiful you!
Thank you to Nashville Cosmetic for their skincare advice and for being a part of HDP’s Ask the Pro Series! Make an appointment for a complimentary consultation…You will be so glad you did!
The absolute best part of my job is the couples I meet. I’ve been blessed with the kindest brides, grooms, families and wedding parties who make the day so much fun.
Francie and Smylie met when they were 15 and 16 and have the sweetest story. They are both from Vestavia Hills (Birmingham AL), where my family lived for 10 years before moving to Nashville, so we have lots of mutual friends. Smylie grew up on Vestavia Hills Country Club golf course, learned how to play the game there and now plays on the PGA Tour. I’m always excited when I can photograph a couple where they have a connection to a place that holds so many memories, so I was thrilled we were able to do their First Look and portraits at VCC.
Francie worked with Mariée Ami to plan her wedding with an amazing vendor team (see complete list at the end of this post). She was such a pleasure to work with from day one; and when the wedding day weather forecast included a tornado warning and her portraits were interrupted by thunderstorms, she was calm and full of grace, without even one word of complaint. She radiated joy all day, from getting ready at her family’s home to their sendoff at The Club in a golf cart, of course.
Francie has a lifestyle blog and Instagram account @Fairwayfinds. Follow along as she shares travel adventures and healthy living finds while on the PGA Tour with Smylie. Francie signs off with each blog post “Always finding joy,”. Yes, she is, and her wedding day had so much of it!
Francie and Smylie, thank you for choosing me to be a small part of your beautiful wedding day! Best wishes for a lifetime of health, happiness and birdies!
You can also see their wedding published on Brides.com.